1/2 pound butter (two sticks), at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 extra large eggs, at room temperature
3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (3-6 lemons)
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup flour
powdered sugar for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in a large bowl. With the mixer on low, add the flour and salt until just mixed. Press the dough into a 13X9 pan going up 1/2 inch on the sides.
3. Bake crust for 15-20 minutes or until light brown. Let cool and leave the oven on.
4. For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour on the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Let cool at room temperature.
6. Dust with powdered sugar.
*I bought 2 lemons and had just under two tablespoons zest and less than a cup of lemon juice. I added enough bottled lemon juice to fill the required cup and they turned out great. Rick thought they were too lemony but our families loved them.
*Recipe from the Food Network Website